Menu
Back to top of page
Back
10 most toxic foods for dogs

10 Most Toxic Foods for Dogs

By Naomi H. | 21st September 2017

With those irresistible puppy eyes, it can often be hard to resist sharing your food or giving away leftovers to your dog. However, what we consider to be a nutritious and tasty meal can, in fact, be toxic for your dog. Below is a list of common foods that are harmful to your dog, and some may come as a surprise! 




Chocolate

Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine that is extremely poisonous to dogs. When ingested, the substance can affect the guts, heart, central nervous system, and kidneys.
 

Onions and Garlic 

These both belong to the Allium family. Ingesting vegetables and herbs from this food family can cause stomach and gut irritation for your dog, potentially leading to red blood cell damage and anaemia. 
 

Mushrooms 

Some mushrooms are safe for ingestion, however, it can be tricky to determine which ones aren’t, and therefore it is wiser to prevent your dog from consuming any variety of mushrooms.
 

10 most toxic food and substance for dogs graphic

 

Grapes and Raisins

Although the exact substance that causes the toxicity is not known, even small amounts of grapes and raisins can be fatally toxic for dogs.
 

Peach Pits

Not only are peach pits a choking hazard for your dog, they also contain a substance called amygdalin which is toxic for dogs. Amygdalin can cause kidney failure and death within a few days of ingestion. 
 

Sugar

Your dog’s sugar intake should be monitored closely; even the amounts contained in dog food and treats. Similarly to humans, a high sugar intake can lead to cavities, obesity and diabetes in dogs. 
 

Alcohol

Even the smallest amount of alcohol can prove to be harmful to dogs and this includes food that contains alcohol. Ingestion of alcohol in dogs can lead to kidney problems and depression. 
 

Nuts

Tree nuts are often contaminated with low levels of the poison aflatoxin. Although the low levels are perfectly safe for human consumption, intake of the substance in dogs can lead to digestive and gastrointestinal problems.
 

Paracetamol

Human painkillers should never be given to your dog as the ingestion of them can be fatal. Whilst humans have the correct enzymes to be able to break down and process the medication, dogs do not have the same enzymes and consumption of medication such as Paracetamol can lead to liver and red blood cell damage. Natural remedies and supplements are available as a much safer alternative to support your dog’s health. 
 

If you have any concerns about whether a food is suitable for your dog to consume, it is always best to be safe and not allow consumption until you have spoken to a vet or an animal nutritionist.  In addition to monitoring your dog’s food and drink intake, it is important to maintain the perfect balance of food and exercise in your dog’s lifestyle, in order for your furry companion to live a long, happy and healthy life!
 
 
 
Article by Naomi H.

Naomi H. is a university trained journalist with a passion for writing. With a keen interest in swimming, general fitness but also an avid foodie, Naomi enjoys exploring new nutritious recipes and researching food tips to make healthier foods at home.   

You might also like

How to Care for a Senior Pet

How to Care for a Senior Pet

Dan H. | 19th November 2015
The Best Joint Supplements for Dogs

The Best Joint Supplements for Dogs

Laura W. | 12th June 2015
Top 5 Tips for your Pet\'s Nutrition

Top 5 Tips for your Pet's Nutrition

Dan H. | 4th April 2016


SUBSCRIBE FOR THE LATEST FROM HEALTHYLIFE from Simply Supplements

articles
340
description