The Best Joint Supplements for Dogs
Joint Supplements for Dogs
It's great to have a dog – they provide companionship & cuddles, plenty of fun, lots of laughs, and they become part of the family. Owning a dog also has many benefits to human health – as well as encouraging you to get outside and go for regular walks, pets help to lower blood pressure, relieve anxiety, and can even improve your immune system. But dogs are vulnerable to some of the same health problems that plague humans, especially in their later years – including joint problems like arthritis and hip dysplasia.
It can be hard to diagnose health problems in dogs until the condition is advanced enough to affect their activity levels and range of movement. Look out for these signs that your dog could be suffering from joint conditions:
- Struggling with common activities e.g. getting up onto the sofa or going up the stairs.
- Favouring one side while walking, carrying itself unevenly and developing a limp
- Holding up a paw frequently for no apparent reason
- Less interested in playing with toys, going for walks, or socialising with other dogs
- Walking slowly and stiffly, and avoids running wherever possible
- Excessive panting
- Swelling of the joints
Some breeds are more prone to these issues than others, and often purebred, pedigree dogs have a higher chance of inherited health conditions due to lack of genetic diversity – a mixed breed or ‘mutt' is less likely to suffer from health problems. Larger dogs are especially prone to hip dysplasia, particularly dogs like German shepherds, Labradors, pointers and others that grow rapidly during puppyhood. Just like humans, dogs that are overweight are more prone to joint problems, due to the extra strain placed upon the joints.
But don't despair – there are plenty of treatments that can be very effective for dogs with joint conditions.