The Best Detox for your Age
A detox regime can be beneficial at any age, helping to cleanse the body of toxins and improve energy levels. As the body ages, it can be effective to tailor your regime to suit the changing needs of the body. Here are our top tips to help you detox for your age.
Our twenties and thirties are often high-stress years with pressures to achieve and succeed, which can have a serious impact on the immune system. Any successful detox regime should focus on strengthening the immune system and protecting against stress:
- Try to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water on a daily basis to prevent sluggishness.
- Aim to eat 5 to 6 portions of fruit or vegetables, particularly those rich in B vitamins to protect against stress.
- Eat protein with every meal to sustain energy levels.
- Drink herbal tea instead of tea or coffee.
- Limit your alcohol intake and cut back on junk or processed foods to reduce toxins.
- Consider trying chromium to balance blood sugar levels and reduce food cravings.
- Try a milk thistle supplement. This popular herb supports healthy liver function and may help to repair any liver damage caused by the overindulgence of food or drink.
These are the transitional years during which the body experiences major hormonal changes, such as the menopause and andropause (male menopause). Some quick and easy detox tips include:
- Cut your sugar intake – age-related hormone changes put you at greater risk of middle age spread.
- Avoid preservatives and additives which overload the body with toxins.
- Cut out caffeine as it aggravates mood swings.
- Go organic to avoid chemicals and toxins as much as possible.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables rich in vitamin C to prevent illness.
- Consider a probiotic supplement such as acidophilus to top up friendly bacteria throughout the gut and promote a healthy balance.
60’s and Beyond
At this age, many of the body’s processes begin to slow down and, as a result, the body can start to feel sluggish. Here are some effective tips to detox the body and keep everything running smoothly:
- Have a hearty wholefood breakfast with added fresh berries.
- Snack on raw vegetables and goats cheese for their high nutritional content.
- Eat grilled fish or chicken, and swap potatoes for sweet potatoes as these are lower in carbs.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of room-temperature water each day.
- stretch daily and go for a walk.
- An ageing digestive system can struggle to absorb vitamins and minerals from food, and so a daily multivitamin can help to ensure you don’t miss out on any vital nutrients.
- Consider adding a high fibre supplement to your daily routine to cleanse the system and promote healthy and regular bowel movements.